Saturday, November 1, 2008

Spooky Fun

For Halloween last night Sammy was a bumblebee, Carli was Tinker Bell and Eli was a spooky ghost. We went to the Trunk-or-Treat at the church which was really fun! They really put a lot of work into it and the kids really enjoyed all of the games. Eli especially loved the football toss (they had tied a tire swing to the basketball hoop and the kids got to throw the football through it). The prize for that one was a can of soda--so that made Eli happy too! Carli mostly just stood quietly by my side and asked for prizes. She didn't want to play anything, she just wanted the candy!
After the party we hurried home to have time to go around the block in our neighborhood. I put the rest of our candy in a bowl on the porch and we set out. Sammy did NOT want to ride in the stroller, so I carried him--and unbelievably, he was too hot in the whole costume, so I had to take the outer part off! Who can believe that it was 70 degrees on Halloween? Trick-or-treating was very pleasant--as far as the weather goes, anyway. The part that wasn't pleasant was holding Sammy and having him try to dive out of my arms anytime anyone opened the door! Eventually I ended up with Sammy on one hip, Eli's ghost costume slung over one arm and about twenty pounds of candy in two bags on the other arm. They got too heavy for the kids to carry and Eli kept dumping his out accidentally (he did it on three different doorsteps!). We managed to get home and survey the loot--I can't believe how much candy they got! It's amazing--and they got lots of good chocolate this year! Not so good for the hips, but in terms of Halloween loot, it was a bumper crop! Unfortunately I didn't get a lot of pictures, what with trying to handle Sammy who was not happy unless I was carrying him, but I managed to take a few.

Carli loved being Tinker Bell this year--she especially loved the curly ribbon in her hair--which you can't see very well in this picture. She was very happy to have a "pretty" costume. (Thanks to the Disney Store after Halloween clearance last year!)


Carli insisted on a "silly face" picture.


Last year Carli was a ladybug and she loved having freckles--they don't really go with Tinker Bell, but when I was putting on her makeup she just had to have freckles again!



Sammy made a very cute bumblebee.


His face looks so chubby in this picture, you would think the rolls in the costume are actually part of his anatomy!


It wasn't until we got out of the car at the party that I realized that I forgot to put the white face paint on Eli. Eli didn't really care, but I was really mad! You can also see in this picture how much Sammy was enjoying the party. =(


Eli loves all the weird "body part" candy--the eyeballs and hands and stuff. Good--he can keep it, more chocolate for me!


Can you believe all that candy for two little kids? We are going to have some serious sugar shock around here! Unbeknownst to them, however, half of the candy has already disappeared! Good thing they're still young enough that I can do that.


Overall, it was a great Halloween and the kids had a great time. For me it was bittersweet to watch them without Ben here to celebrate with us. Oh well, maybe next year.

Happy Halloween to everyone!

5 comments:

Allie said...

My kids love SpongeBob candy too. Dang crabby patties. Your kids are darling and you are doing so well. You're a lot stronger than me, without a hubby.

Pedersen Posse said...

Sounds like you had fun. I love Sammy's costume. The rolls really weren't from him? :) j/k I'm a little jealous that you had games at the trunk-or-treat. Of course, the year we leave they do some games.

The Toronto Family said...

CUTE!!! I'm going to try freezing candy this year, that way I will not eat it, and we have it for a treat if needed and then it is not getting tossed. We will see how it works. talk to you later!

Jamie said...

Oh my goodness, they all look so fabulous! Sounds like you had a wonderful time - wish I could have been there.

JoAnn, freezing candy? Hmm, I'd like to know how that turns out. Interesting idea.

Jeannie Young said...

Looks like you survived the parties on your own and even managed to enjoy yourself! =) Your kids got a TON of candy! I guess that's how it goes with so many houses so close together. Even in the neighborhoods out here the houses are spaced farther apart. Still, my kids got plenty of candy! I love their costumes too, they look really cute.