Wednesday, October 8, 2008

More Quotable Quotes!

So last night we had to drive up to the airport to pick up Ben's mom who is visiting us for two weeks. (She was initially coming to help me with knee surgery, but the doctor was deployed and surgery cancelled--so she came anyway just to play!). Anyway, on the way, Ben and I can hear Eli and Carli carrying on a pretty heated conversation in the back-back (the farthest row back in the van).

C: I just saw the Eiffel Tower! Eli! Look! Look! It's the Eiffel Tower! (she's pointing excitedly at one of the big radio towers just off the interstate in South Omaha).

E: (very calmly) No, Carli. That's not the Eiffel Tower. The Eiffel Tower has Jesus on top.

(Ha, ha! I interrupted the conversation at this point to tell them that that was not the Eiffel Tower, that the Eiffel Tower is in France, and that Jesus is NOT on top of the Eiffel Tower. To explain a bit, the kids figure they are experts on the Eiffel Tower because there are several Eiffel Towers in our house. Being the ex-French-teaching, France-Marseille-Mission-serving, all-things-French-loving-Mom that I am, we have several models of the tower in differing sizes and a couple of different pictures of it included in the decor of our house. Carli even has an outfit--leggings and a sweater-- with the tower on it. It's so cute--my MIL just couldn't resist when she saw that.)

Back to the conversation... (we pass another radio tower).

C: Ah! There it is! I saw the Eiffel Tower this time!

E: No, Carli (getting a little impatient now), that is not the Eiffel Tower! (and now frustrated beyond belief) The Eiffel tower is NOT in Nebraska!

C: Eli, I know the Eiffel Tower because I have a new sweater with the Eiffel Tower on it. Ha. (well, she didn't actually say "Ha." but her tone certainly implied it! =) )
___________________________________________________________________

All of these candid kid moments reminded me of a road trip we took about 18 months ago. We were headed to Indiana to spend Christmas with Ben's family at his Aunt's house. The trip was about 10 1/2 hours and we drove it straight through. The kids were SO good, as they usually are in the car, but after giving several interesting instructions to Carli (22 months old at the time) Ben and I realized that they were really funny and started writing them down. The scrap of paper has been in the car all this time, and I finally got it out last night so I could record them. Here are some of the things I said to Carli during the ride:

"Don't put your cracker between your toes!"
"Get your sock out of your mouth!"
"Don't eat your doggy!"
"Stop spitting!"
"Don't lick your shoe!"

Sounds like she had a REALLY good time on that trip!

3 comments:

Jeannie Young said...

Very funny! I love the funny conversations between siblings! Jake and Peter have had some pretty funny ones, but most of them, unfortunately, are centered around potty talk. Are my crazy boys the only ones who have to insert "pooh" into almost every sentence?!? Anyway, it's fun to read about your cute kids! We've got to hook up on facebook sometime or maybe I'll just give you a call, I miss you!

Harwood said...

I have had several moments when I've said "Joseph, don't (fill in the blank)" and then laughed. Parenthood is full of those moments. The latest ones I can remember are "Don't throw your toys in the sink" and "Don't feed your pancakes to baby Shae."
~Shawn

Allison said...

I love these stories. They bring back great memories that have been stored in the dusty archives of my head. Thanks!