Sunday, June 8, 2008

MORE Extreme Weather

Man, how much longer will this go on? Most every night for a week now, we've had severe thunderstorms. The weather was overcast and windy when we went to bed last night and we were under tornado watch. I wasn't too worried about it, but at 3 am, I heard the tornado sirens (anyone seen "War of the Worlds? It reminds me of the sound the Aliens make when they come to Earth). I ran downstairs and checked the TV. Sure enough, the emergency signal was on, so I ran back up and roused all the kids and we headed to the basement. It was definitely scary! Why does all this weather have to happen while Ben is gone? Elijah was super sleepy and kept telling me, "Mommy, it's the middle of the night. I should be in my bed!" Carli was totally freaked out and just curled up in the corner of the couch. Sammy was happy and ready to play. He was just glad to be out of bed!
The news was reporting a tornado about 15 miles west of us that had destroyed a couple of houses and this morning there are more damage reports coming in. So far, I don't think there are any injuries, thank goodness. My friend whose husband is also deployed called this morning and we both lamented that this stuff has to happen while our husbands are gone! It's really scary to be alone with kids when something goes wrong! I can't wait for Ben to get home! AND, I HATE TORNADOES!!

1 comment:

Jeannie Young said...

That is so freaky! We had a pretty good thunderstorm here yesterday evening. I heard today that lightening hit down at Hammonassett beach (the state beach not too far from us) and killed one person, injuring five. Crazy! I'm so glad to hear you are safe.