Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Mr. Baby Frog

Over the weekend I was doing a little weeding in the flowerbed out front, and a frog tried to give me a heart attack. I was moving the mulch around trying to get out the little weeds when he jumped out right onto my hand. I screamed. Really loud. Actually, the truth is, I probably gave him a heart attack! The poor thing was probably taking a nap down there in the cool dirt and I messed everything up! Carli happened to be standing right next to me when I screamed, and she became pretty alarmed. I had to assure her that the frog was harmless and nothing to be afraid of. He hopped around in the flowerbed a little bit, and after a few minutes she warmed up to him.

I called to Eli to come and see the frog and all of the sudden Carli was the resident frog expert! She introduced him to Eli as "Mr. Baby Frog" and told Eli that he lives in our garden and that he likes to eat bugs. And that he does... as we watched, he hopped up to the corner of the flowerbed by the porch and started in on some ants. It was fun to see his tongue dart in and out as he ate. Eli was soon bored and went back inside, but Carli sat and watched him for quite a while. Once, when he paused in eating ants, Carli said that she thought he was waiting for his friends to come from the pond down the street so he could share the ants. Too cute!

We've seen Mr. Baby Frog a few times since then, and I think it's true that he's taken up residence in the flowerbed. I don't mind really, he can eat all the bugs he wants out there!




(Okay, so it's a toad... But don't try telling Carli that. This "Frog" will never be Mr. Baby Toad!)

2 comments:

Jeannie Young said...

How fun! Carli is too cute! Tell her and Eli hi from their "auntie" Jeannie. =)

Shalei said...

Hey there stranger! I loved reading your blog! I miss you! Your kids are huge! And so adorable!. I'm excited to keep checking up on you guys. Love you lots and lots.
Shalei